Marriage Registration in Thailand

Marriage Registration in Thailand

In order for the marriage to be recognised in your home country you need to get both documents #1 (affirmation of freedom to marry) and #2 (translated into Thai) LEGALIZED at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok. This normally takes two days.

The procedure differs by embassy. You will each need a notarized affidavit.


While marriage is an important step in a couple’s relationship, it can also have legal binding effects, including tax deductions and the right to access government benefits and co-manage property. This is why it’s essential that couples understand the responsibilities that come with a registered marriage before taking this step.

Getting your marriage in Thailand legalized is the final step in the process. It involves submitting all the relevant documents to your local district office, known as an “amphur” or “khet”. The documents will then be submitted for verification at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This normally takes two days.

Getting your marriage in Thailand legalized is an essential step in the process, especially for foreigners. It streamlines the document recognition process for countries that are part of the Hague Convention. Those that aren’t may require an authentication certificate instead. This is a more time-consuming and expensive process. However, it can still be a worthwhile investment in order to ensure that your Thai marriage certificate is recognized internationally.


For a marriage to be valid in Thailand it must be registered at the local district office, called an amphur. It is a simple process, but the documents you need to submit can vary depending on your individual circumstances. It is important to prepare your documentation carefully, as the smallest error could result in rejection of your application.

First, you must obtain an affirmation of freedom to marry from your embassy in Bangkok. This document is an official letter stating that you are free to marry your partner and that there is no legal impediment for the wedding. Once you have your document you should then take it to a translation service in Bangkok and have it translated into Thai. After your translator has completed the translation you should then take it to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok and have the document legalized. The process typically takes one day. This final step is required in order to register your marriage in Thailand and make it legally binding in both countries.


All foreigners who marry in Thailand must have their marriage registered at the District Office (Amphoe). This is to ensure that the marriage is a legally binding relationship under Thai family law and that the rights, duties and responsibilities that are attached to this are recognised. This can be done at any Amphoe and is not only for convenience; it is a requirement under Thai law (section 1458).

A couple will need the notarized affidavit that they are free to marry along with copies of their passports, and certified translations into Thai. These documents should then be taken to the local Embassy or Consulate who will authenticate them. The signatures of these officials are then checked by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs who will verify them and issue a Certificate of Legalisation that can be used to register your marriage at the Amphur offices. This process can take up to two days. It is important to have these documents ready before you arrive at the Embassy or Consulate to save time.


Depending on your circumstances you may need to take extra steps to ensure your marriage is recognised by authorities in your home country. This will involve seeking legal advice to ensure that your specific needs are addressed.

Once the affirmation and translation have been verified by your Embassy/Consulate you can submit all documents to the local district office (Amphur). This official recording of your marriage makes it legally binding in Thailand and abroad.

If you are a foreigner you will need to provide your original passport and an arrival card, as well as an affidavit of marital status from your Embassy/Consulate that you are single and free to marry in accordance with Thai law. You will also need to bring copies of any previous marriages and divorce decrees. In addition, you will need to bring a certified copy of your translation from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Leave a Reply